Monday, January 26, 2015

Boston and Mason's BIG arrival

Who would have ever thought the very next day after my weekly blog update my baby boys would arrive.
Sunday night, Heath and I were watching the Miss Universe pageant and I was having a few stronger contractions that were about 7 minutes apart.  I was timing the ones I felt, not the ones that the computer was picking up.  After being monitored for an hour or so, the nurse didn't seem too concerned about the contractions. She asked if I wanted the medication to stop them and I said no because if she wasn't worried then I shouldn't be worried......right?!?!
W R O N G
I woke up Monday morning at 4:30 a.m. and I started throwing up.  I didn't really think it was too unusual just because I have been sick this entire pregnancy.  I did think it was weird how much I was throwing up though.  Heath had to work his last 7 days on and as he was leaving for work I found myself not wanting him to go.  He reassured me that he was just go and get his work done and come back as soon as he could.  I agreed and kissed him goodbye.  
After he left I was feeling really emotional and lost it when me nurse came in to do my morning vitals. I kept throwing up and they decided to do my routinely morning monitoring.  After being monitored for 30 minutes I was indeed having contractions.  They administered two doses of "Turb" which is a medication that relaxes your uterus and makes your heart pump like CRAZY!  After that the nurse said everything looked good and there I was left in my room all alone. 
There was a doctor on call that came in for maybe 2 minutes to see how I was doing.  She said yeah, you had contractions this morning and probably have some stomach bug, but any questions?!? I said no and she left just like that.
I called my mom around 9 am and cried to her and told her how hard of a day I was having.  She said she would leave work and just come and spend the day with me.  At this time I started having a really bad stomach ache.  Almost like the kind you get when you have the stomach flu, but way more intense!  I decided to take a bath in my awesome jetted tub in my new hospital suite that I just moved into the previous day.  That didn't help my stomach, but was good for my soul :)
My mom arrived at 10:00 and she took one look at me and was worried.  She thought that I might be in labor.  I called the nurse in to see if she could put the monitors on me again because at this point I was in so much pain and just didn't feel right.  She put the monitors back on and I was contracting.... A G A I N.  She still wasn't worried though.  I asked her if she could call my OB or high risk doctor just to see if one of them could come up and make sure everything was okay.  She brought in the charge nurse and they started asking me why I was so worried, asking what my pain level was, and how to describe the pain.  These questions are so annoying to me!!  The charge nurse said she would call the high risk doctor to come up and "put my mind at ease".  Ten minutes later Dr. Gestlaund came up at this point the monitor was picking up contractions about 1 1/2 apart.  She said we need to check you like now!  She checked my cervix and it was dilated to almost 2 cm and the babies heads were right there!  She said we are having babies today! 
After that my room was filled with total chaos!  Nurses started scrambling under Dr. Gestlaunds orders.  My first words were, can we wait for my husband to get here?!?  He works in SLC so was about an hour away.  They said we could as long as my water didn't break and/or the blood vessel didn't rupture.  

My phone call to him went something like this.....
Hey babe, guess what??! It's BABY DAY today!  He didn't believe me and first, but he could tell in my voice I was serious.  He said he would be there as soon as he could.
They started an IV (or at least tried) 3 different times.  Because I had been sick, I was dehydrated and my veins were not cooperating.  Third time and different nurse, it finally worked.  They started putting magnesium sulfate through my IV which makes you feel so so awful!  Hot flashes, face flushed, warm all over, sick kind of feeling. This medication is given to help the babies brains and neurological system.  I kept calling heath off and on to see where he was.  I had him on speaker and said get her safely, no speeding or breaking any laws.  He replied I may be going 90, but I haven't hit 100.  The nurses in my room starting laughing.  

We watched from my hospital window as heath pulled in the parking lot around 11:50 am.  The nurses were waiting for him outside my room and quickly handed him his get up for the Operating Room.  He looked so cute in it!  He was able along with one of the male NICU nurses to give me a blessing before we went back.  It was so amazing and calmed my fears completely!  I am so thankful for priesthood blessings and that my husband is able to give me those blessings!

After the blessing, it was time to rock and roll.  My mom gave me a big hug and started crying.  She was going to wait in my room and stay with me during recovery so Heath could go back with the babies.  I remember thinking... sad, this is the last time I will feel them kicking inside me.

The OR was a blur.  Everything happened so fast.  I got the spinal block while I was looking into my sweet husbands eyes and listening to him tell me that in just minutes our boys would be here.  He got tears in his eyes and told me how grateful he was for me.  He later told me he thought I was going to squeeze his arm off! I was laying on the OR table and all of the sudden felt nauseous.  I started throwing up with my arms strapped down, laying flat on my back, barfing over my right shoulder in a pink little bowl that was being held by my husband.  Worst thing ever.  I started feeling like I couldn't breathe and that was awful too.  The sheet went up, my doctor rushed in and started the surgery.  It was the strangest feeling.  Heath was watching and I wanted him down by my head so he sat down by me.  Within a few seconds we heard Boston (BABY A) start crying.  They showed him to us for just a few seconds then whisked him away.  He was born at 12:26pm.  A minute later, at 12:27pm Mason (Baby B) made his debut the same way as his brother, crying, which is always a good sign!  Boston weighed 3 lbs 7 ounces and Mason weighed 4 lbs 2 ounces.  We got to see him for maybe a second then he was whisked away to the NICU.  They were here.  I was so relived and so excited to meet my baby boys.  After I got put back together we went back to my room.  Heath got to spend about an hour with me before he could go back to the babies.  I told him to take pictures and bring them back to show me, then he could go back with them.  He brought pictures and they were so tiny and so precious.  I was determined to get over there to see them as soon as I could.
I made it over to the NICU around 5:30-6:00 that night.  I will never forget the way I felt the first time I saw them.  They were so tiny and I couldn't help but wishing I could have carried them for a few more weeks.  I got to hold them and they had cords coming out of what seemed like every place.  It was pretty emotional.  I am so glad things worked out the way they did.  I am so happy to introduce my babies!!

Pictures to come... Sorry, I am spending most of these days in Ogden with my sweet boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment