Monday, April 9, 2012

Grandpa "Mike"

I had to write about my day in Clinic today. Our last clinic day is on Wednesday so my clinic experiences are almost finished for my first year of hygiene school!! I can't believe how fast this year has gone by. It's crazy how fast time goes by when you are SO busy!
My patient today, his name was Mike and I didn't know him, but got his name from another hygiene student. Anyway, today was just the greatest day. I am so glad that I got to meet Mike. He is so incredibly sweet and he said I feel like I have known you forever! I felt the same way. Mike is about 70 something years old (but looks like he's 50). His wife just had open heart surgery and I am sure he takes such good care of her. We instantly bonded when he told me that he goes to Dr. Christensen in Layton which was my dentist all throughout my childhood. Somehow we got on the subject of divorce and how hard it was. I said that I know first hand, but sometimes its for the best! I have been struggling lately with this whole "dad" thing recently in most part because my so called Dad just had a stroke a few weeks ago and is in a nursing home. Sometimes I think that I should care, but in reality I don't and can't force myself to. Anyway, Mike said that he would be my honorary Dad, but wait more like my Honorary Grandpa since that was more likely. Isn't that the sweetest thing?!? He gave me a hug and kissed my cheek after and he was just such a great guy! It was such a great day! I am so glad that I get to have patients that enter as strangers and leave as friends. I have the greatest job! See ya in 6 months Grandpa Mike! :)

3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet! I love that we get to meet so many amazing people! This job really is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish all our patients could be as sweet as him! I'm glad you found a good one Apes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. April, that story is amazing! It's so fun to see patients and be able to connect with them!

    ReplyDelete