Sunday, October 21, 2012

I wILL sUrViVE.

Or will I?!?!

Mock Boards are now over, so glad.. until the next one that is.  Let's just say I did NOT do so well.  In fact, I failed.  Not just failed by a little, but failed by A LOT a bit.
It sucked.
I was not stressed until I walked into clinic Thursday morning. You could honestly feel the tension in that place, it was crazy.  We had 2 hours to complete 1 quadrant (which is only approx. 8 teeth) which is totally do able. I thought...
I started by actually being able to give anesthetic!
Yes! I gave a shot!  It was amazing! And it went so well!
Then,
I started cleaning with the ultrasonic and just took my time with every tooth.  I focused first on the Lower anteriors which was a huge mistake.  This is usually a great plan on your normal mouths, but with periodontal diseased patients its not the best idea because calculus has more places to attach to on the back teeth.  LESSON 1 LEARNED
Then I went around with hand instruments including my mini gracey's.  Lesson 2 learned.  I should have used my normal gracey's that are stronger and more rigid to remove the kind of calculus that I was dealing with.
I was feeling good and even finished 30 minutes before my 2 hours was up so I could mark recession and probe depths.  I was confident.  I explored, flossed, and used my air to make sure I didn't leave anything behind.
After my patient was checked by one of the examiners she came back with a list of spots I missed, it was not a good sight.  I didn't even have time to remove all the spots... Yikes I know! I realized my exploring technique is not the best and that I need to come up on my fulcrum in order to dectect the calculus.  Lesson # 3.
 My patient told me if she had to give me a grade it would've been an A, that was the highlight of my day.  lets just say good thing it was a "Mock" Board and not the real board.  I have a lot to work on!

1 comment:

  1. Totally failed my first mock board patient. Funny thing is...pretty much my entire class did. It is there to be a learning experience and BOY did I! lol. Believe me, because you are being taught so well, and graded so hard, you will ACE your boards. Unfortunately, that is how hygiene school works...you feel like you are scum-yet when it comes down to the final tests-you know your stuff inside and out! Good Luck!!! You will do so great on your next mock board!

    ReplyDelete