Thursday, May 28, 2015

Memorial Day

We went on our first road trip last weekend.  I know, how could I go on a trip during memorial day, especially after losing our baby? I had the same thought.  Here's the thing: Heath's family goes to Moab every year during Memorial Day weekend.  I had the thought many times that I should just stay home because I wanted to be close to the cemetery on that special day that only comes once a year.  That day dedicated to remember all of our loved ones who have passed away.

Heath was so excited to get out and I thought it sounded nice to get a way too.  His entire extended family (minus one uncle and his kids) were going to be there.  We are talking cousins we haven't seen since our wedding which was FIVE years ago.  Speaking of, we celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary on Friday by driving to Moab.  Exciting right? :) WE did celebrate the night before by going to dinner at Taco time.  Long story, but then again we live in Brigham City... not too many exciting places to choose from.  It was fun reminiscing about all the memories, the ups and downs, the happiest of times and the saddest of times.  Heath and I have been through so much together.  Especially this year.  Heath told me I was a lot stronger than he gave me credit for.  I thought that was such a compliment.  I guess I have always known I can do hard things which was instilled in me by my amazing Momma who has done lots of "hard things" her entire life.  Its interesting how some people are tested and tried and then tested and tried some more.

Back to our weekend.  Moab turned out to be good.  I am glad that we went.  Mason did great on the drive down and back.  That baby loves riding in the car and goes right to sleep the second we start driving.  We got to go on a few rides which was awesome.  Heath and I got to ride in the back of a razor while his cousin drove us around.  It was refreshing to feel the wind blowing on our faces, watching the beautiful red rock scenery as we cruised on by and being able to sit all cuddled up together with my hubby.  It seemed so normal.  Normal is good.

Monday morning we said goodbye to everyone and hurried back to get to the cemetery.  Boston's headstone got put in the Wednesday before we left, but wasn't all the way completed so I was antsy to get back to see it.  It really hit me seeing his name on a headstone that this is real.  Not a bad dream.  Reality.  It was tough seeing.  The headstone turned out great even though it wasn't the one we picked out and his picture wasn't able to be mounted because there was an issue with the size.  Kind of a bummer, but what can ya do?  They are going to fix it for us which is all that matters.

The cemetery looked beautiful with all the flowers around.  Heath and I sat by Boston's grave and I was overcome with thoughts about my healthy little boy that left too soon.  Heath mentioned to me that we could be at the cemetery visiting both our boys.  We came so close to having that happen.  I am so grateful for Mason and that we have him here on earth with us.  I'm also grateful for our angel Boston who is in heaven always watching over us.

Memorial Day 2015 will be one we will never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment